We offer private equity investment opportunities with substantial tax advantages from the most experienced, award-winning, Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) and Venture Capital Trust (VCT) Fund Manager.
Why Calculus Capital?
Over 17 invaluable years of experience
Multi-award winning funds
Our diligent process, record of profitable exits and focus on capital appreciation distinguishes us from other EIS and VCT fund managers. The Calculus investment strategy has remained consistent for the past 10+ years, together with our structured investment process, strong risk management and very close monitoring of portfolio companies, we have been able to produce significant results for our clients. Be that via tax free dividends for our VCT investors, or tax free capital gains for our EIS investors.
Our Deputy CEO and Head of Portfolio Management Robert Davis explains the five stages of building an EIS portfolio:
We are incredibly proud of our results – our performance enables tax free dividends for our VCT and tax free distributions for our EIS Funds. Some examples of recent Exits are below – our figures do not include tax reliefs:
- Scancell (April 2014) 8.2x
- Waterfall (December 2014) 5.3x
- Horizon (September 2015 & August 2016) 1.82x
- Metropolitan Safe Custody (September 2016) 1.81x
- RMS Europe (March 2017) 5.36x
To view more examples of our exits click here.
Evidence of the Fund’s successful approach is also demonstrated by our loyal investor base, many of our clients have invested in multiple Calculus Capital EIS Funds as well as our VCT. A large number of our investors are experienced fund managers and investment professionals who have discovered us through recommendations within the industry.
See what others have to say about us here.
We are sector agnostic, our focus is to find and back great management teams working in established companies successfully selling real products and services. These companies will then form part of our VCT and EIS Funds.
We offer capital appreciation with managed risk:
- Sector diversified portfolio of 8-10 companies for our EIS Fund, around 20 for our VCT
- Targeting established companies with proven management teams
- Target IRR of 20%
- Typical investment size £2-5 million
- Failure rates are lower and time to exit is shorter than for start-up investments
- Typically hold investments for a period of 4-5 years on average
We benefit from privileged sources of deal flow – a substantial number of investment opportunities come from management teams that we have successfully backed in the past, other sources include our investor base and industry relationships.
Our Expertise and Due Diligence Process
Our long track record of successful exits is down to our talented investment team and the thorough and robust processes they follow.
- We execute in depth due diligence of investment opportunities using our experienced investment team and external parties, this process normal takes 4 – 7 months
- Our ‘hands on’ approach after investment means we constantly monitor performance and effect change when needed, we usually have a member of the team on the board
- Our talented investment team has experience in a diverse range of sectors. The core team has been together for over 10 years and we have since attracted significant talent from top institutions
- We always consider exit strategies before we make an investment and our detailed investment agreements are often written with this in mind
Value Creation and Support
From the moment we invest in a company, a partnership is formed. We help our investee companies create value by actively supporting the business, sharing our market knowledge and connections and using our long standing experience of growing small UK companies.
We also run a series of ‘toolkit’ seminars including CEO forums and CFO workshops, where our portfolio companies can meet their peers, exchange ideas and hear from a leading industry expert. Often, the issues facing small businesses are similar regardless of sector. An upcoming forum is focused on ‘building a brand’, recent topics included ‘scaling up’ and ‘how to build a leading sales team’.
Meet the Calculus Team
We run ‘Meet the CEO’ events throughout the year at our offices, which are a chance to meet with the Calculus Capital investment team and hear from one of our portfolio company CEOs. Investors and advisers are welcome to attend, if you would like to reserve a place at the next event, or would like more information, please email [email protected]